Saturday, August 22, 2009

'Obama'care and the consequences


While I believe that Universal Healthcare is at its core is born of the best intentions, it frightens me.

It frightens me to think that the government is trying to convince its citizens that they can be trusted with an individual’s health when polls are showing that most Americans would not trust the government to tell them how to take their morning cup of coffee.

I don't say that to be flippant either. I am legitimately concerned that a governmental takeover of healthcare is a prelude to an overly strong, centralized government poised to institute more "Big Government" policies.

I'm also dumbfounded that many of our legislators are ready to endorse such a significant bill when THEY HAVE'NT EVEN READ IT! I've read it! (H.R. 3200) All 500-some-odd pages and it is scary.

When you get past all the political jargon, you discover a bill that actually places age limit restrictions on certain routine medical procedures.Grandma needs a pacemaker at age 85 (sorry, too old). Grandpa needs a hip replaced at 80 (better buy a hover-round). I've listened to President Obama give his health care pitch at town halls around the country saying that Republicans are trying to "scare you into thinking were gonna pull the plug on Grandma, and that's simply not true." Technically President Obama is correct. However, placing age limit restrictions on medical procedures can indirectly be likened to "pulling the plug." It not a scare tactic, it's the truth!

The bottom line for me is that government should not be in your bedroom and it should not be in your doctor’s office either. That may sound cliché' but It's what I believe. Making a healthcare decision for a loved one is a serious and PERSONAL decision. You should be able to choose your own doctor and your own insurance provider.

I’ve also not heard any talk about how we would actually pay for universal healthcare. Would we raise taxes yet again on an already over-burdened middle-class? Or would we borrow money from other government entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicade or Social Security (all three of which are bankrupt as it is!)

Socialized medicine is nothing new, forms of Universal Healthcare exist to some extent in Canada and the United Kingdom. My research shows that it on average, it costs much more per year than a private insurance plan and it results it longer hospital wait times and less access to medical procedures.

The poor and the uninsured will, under this plan, be covered by the Government and will instantly inundate the medical system with millions of more patients and not enough doctors to go around.

Let’s assume for a moment that Government run heath care legislation is passed and signed...Who's keeping an eye on the Government to make sure it does it's job for every American life? Where have the checks and balances gone? Our founding fathers instituted a system of checks and balances so that no single branch of government gets too much power, and yet, we are being asked to let the Department of Health and Human Services forced upon us (with a single piece of legislation) a private sector insurance takeover of epic proportions?

Lastly, I am concerned with privacy. The bill recommends that a “national database” be created to store and regulate patient information, visits, medical history and even your social security number.Can the President honestly GUARANTEE ME that my information is safe in an era of widespread cyber crime? It’s not as if government computers with important information haven’t gone “missing” before.

I could go on and on about how the bill has loopholes that could potentially allow for the coverage of illegal immigrants AND how congressman and government officials are not included in the healthcare bill they are voting us into but I digress for now.

It’s expensive, it’s scary, its big government at its worst and it’s the wrong choice for America.

No comments:

Post a Comment